The Domaine Albrechtsfeld
At the Domaine Albrechtsfeld organic farming takes place on some 1,000ha of own land and roughly 400ha of leased acreage. The main crops are winter wheat, soybean, oil pumpkins and alfalfa.
As a result of intensive, interim greening and regular crop rotation, the long-term humus content in the soil is being steadily increased. This measure provides gentle and sustainable husbandry on the basis of current quality and food standards. The keeping of a herd of suckler cows has also proven to be an ideal supplement to the organic farming activities and creates a harmonious synergy effect with the farm concept.
The new farmhouse concept is state of the art, the sequential organisation matching the farming process and the space within the buildings being used accordingly.
The office, social amenities, energy, workshops and washrooms form an entity, while the barns and outhouses offer maximum flexibility for the products and the seasons of the year. Fewer machines and products represent an alternative to large amounts of equipment and quantity. The aim is to minimise the need for manipulation and certified food hygiene is regarded as standard.
As a result of bequests, at the end of the 12th century, Counts Poth and Györ were the dominant landowners in western Hungary, which today constitutes north Burgenland. Albrechtsfeld was built on the site of the village of Haberndorf, which had been destroyed by the Turks. It was entered into the land register of the Hungarian- Altenburg dominion in 1546 as deserted grassland or “Wismad”.
1724 Sale of the property and its transfer from the Hungarian- Altenburg crown estate to the ownership of the Habsburgs.
1740 Emperor Karl IV bequests the estate to his daughter Maria Theresia. In 1765, the Empress gives Albrechtsfeld to her daughter Maria Christine. In 1822, Archduke Karl, who is famous for his victory over Napoleon at Aspern, inherits the property.
1847 Archduke Albrecht takes over the estate. There is a gradual transition to geometrically organised farmland. In addition, dairy farming is introduced in order to supply Vienna with fresh milk.
1938 The estate is transferred to the Albrechtsfeld and Wasserburg property management company (ALWA for short).
2005 The Heinzel maily purchases the estate, which currently operates under the name “Domaine Albrechtsfeld GmbH”.
2008 A new, integrated farmhouse is built for the production of organic raw materials for food with a certificated hygiene standard.
2009 Operations are switched to organic crop production.
Professional agricultural and mechanical training forms the basis for personnel development. In addition, expert support from universities, institutes, chambers and other professional organisations is utilised. At present, a workforce of six is employed. In addition, a trainee model for the support of young people has been drawn up.
- Controlling: Ingrid Gruber
- Manager: Alexander Thiess
Teamwork among the local farmers is encouraged in order to bring large and small farms closer together.